I am sharing my personal experience and my opinion about moving to Canada during COVID.
I have recently moved to Canada on my PR from USA. I had to make this decision rather quickly and abruptly due to COVID-19 spreading faster in the USA. When Prime Minister Justin Trudeau & Trump announced that they would be closing borders, I had 2 options:
- To stay in USA on my H1B visa (i.e. with poor medical benefits and no Government benefits since I am not a citizen)
- To move to Canada on my PR (I did my soft landing last year in 2019)
After going back and forth with these options I finally decided to move to Canada and in my opinion I made the best decision.
- Canadian Government is not only helping the Citizens or Permanent Residents, but they are also providing aid to international students.
- Since I had an OHIP card it was easy for me to avail the medical benefits if needed.
- My partner has a full time job so it will not load us financially.
But some of the drawbacks of moving to Canada right now is:
- There are NO job-fairs or it is very difficult to get in touch with the recruiters, so looking for a job in my field has become a a hassle.
- Most of the network providers are closed like freedom, fido, etc. It is difficult to even get a sim card during this pandemic.
- Difficult to meet people and make new connections as that can help to find a job.
- Most of the stores are closed except all essential services.
- Finding a rental place/apartment is extremely difficult and expensive. AirBnb is not entertaining anyone as well.
In short, I would not advise any one to come here right now on PR if they don’t have a job as they will just exhaust their savings. If CIC is giving you a chance to hold onto the landing process then see this as an opportunity and not a blocker. Until you want to come here with your savings. So the people who got COPR do not worry, Canadian government will not take your PR away because you can’t land, they will be understanding towards the situation.
If you have any questions feel free to comment below and I will answer them.